Wednesday 18 March 2015

NES-top Computer: Part 3

Hello Guys, SighFye again

If you haven't read about the NES-top yet click here.

The NES arrived in the post the other day. On first look I was a little disheartened as the console is rather discoloured. Now I know it's an old system and finding one it better condition would not be very easy so all in all I am happy with it.

Stripping the console down was rather an interesting task and I learned something I did not know about the NES. At the bottom of the NES is a port. The housing would need to be cut to access it but half of the plastic is already cut for you. I looked in forums for what this was and there are a lot of speculations. One thing was an unreleased Minnesota State Lottery cart, another being controllers.

Don't worry I didn't cut mine. This is from Google

So I have the NES in pieces and have placed all the parts on Ebay to try of set the cost a little. I already have a bit on two items so that's something to take of the cost. The parts I am left with are The Housing, the front switches and all the screws.

Now as I said the NES is a little discoloured. A lot of people think it should stay that way as it makes it more vintage but I think I agree with a post I saw. I do not like urine coloured plastic. Bellistik and I looked on the net for painted NES's and my oh my are there some nice looking machines. I have decided I will also paint my NES. I haven't fully decided how but that can be another post when I get to it.



The ASRock Q2900 motherboard has also been purchased from PC Case Gear.

ITEM: ASRock Q2900 ITX Intel Quad Core J2900 2.67GHz
PRICE:  $149 + $17.98 Postage
TOTAL CURRENT PRICE OF BUILD: $264.98

I was going to prepare that NES before the motherboard came but I want to see if I can use any of the screw mounts already in the housing. Saves me having to glue some in.

So that's it for now guy. Now we wait for the motherboard to arrive.

To read the next post in this series click here.

Until then
Geek it up!

SighFye

No comments:

Post a Comment