Monday 27 April 2015

Way Back When's Day - Sonic The Hedgehog (1991)

Hi everybody! :D

You may not know me yet, but I'm the newest contributor to Gettin' My Geek On.
My name is Lloyd, but everybody calls me @OzRavenheart.

Today I'd like to try and start a series called Way Back When's Day, where I attempt to finish a steam game, in my library, that I first played in my childhood. As Sonic the hedgehog was the very first video-game I was introduced to, and subsequently became the game that I grew up with, I thought I'd finish it after all this time.

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) - Steam Edition
It took me about 2 hours to get through Sonic the Hedgehog but that's not unexpected since this version comes with the ability to save your game anywhere you like. It seems a little bit like cheating though, so I limited myself to one save at the beginning of each level to be fair.

I thoroughly enjoyed zooming through the first few zones (Greenhill Zone, Marble Zone etc), letting muscle memory and thousands of hours of childhood gaming guide me through the most efficient paths for each level,

Racing through the Greenhill Zone
Swinging over the lava in the Marble Zone
Bouncy Bouncy! (in the Spring Yard Zone)
Rising water is deadly in the Labyrinth Zone!
 However, later levels presented more of a challenge. As a kid I had only ever successfully gotten as far as the Labyrinth Zone - Act 3 and I was able to catch up to that point rather quickly.

Fighting Dr Robotnik during the rising water race at the end of Act 3 was difficult, but not as impossible as it seemed when I was younger. It only took me a couple of goes to get past him this time.

Run Sonic run! (Scrap Brain Zone)

The Scrap Brain Zone was always fun to play (if you could get there), with it's mechanical gears and widgets, flame-throwers, saw blades and other assorted industrial themed challenges.


I am most definitely not a fan of the obstacles that zap you with electricity if you get too close though. I got zapped way too many times!


Strangely, the end of the second act sees Dr Robotnik drop you into a new level (Scrap Brain Zone - Act 3) which looks very similar to the Labyrynth Zone. It is quite challenging compared to the other underwater levels earlier though.

Boing! (Star Light Xone)
By far my favourite Zone would have to be the Star Light Zone with its long loops and strange walking bomb enemies. The background music is very upbeat and melodical and reminds me of the music they play at fairgrounds. :3

Special levels were a challenge as they require you to finish a level with more than 50 rings in order to access them, which is difficult. In the end, I only managed to nab 3 of the 6 chaos emeralds up for grabs before the end of the game.

Some day I may try to get all the chaos emeralds, but for now I think this game is finished enough.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and I finally got to defeat Dr Robotnic in the final boss level, which I had never done before without cheating.

Someday I'll wipe that smile off your face Dr Robotnik

Steam Library Games Completed: 1 / 369

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blog. Thanks for an enjoyable read bringing us back to our childhood memories! I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete