Saturday 18 April 2015

NES-Top Computer: Part 5

Hey Guys, SighFye again...

If you haven't yet read the rest of this topic, start from the... well start right here.

Before I start on the progress I realised, in the last post I mentioned that the power supply had been ordered but did not add it to the price. So here it is.


ITEM:  picoPSU-120 + 8.5A (102W) Power Kit
PRICE:  $149 + $15 Postage
TOTAL CURRENT PRICE OF BUILD: $372.98
Now as you can see in the picture, there is only 1 sata power, so to add enough for 2 internal drives and a bluray drive I have bought myself a molex power to 2 x sata power adapter.



ITEM:  Dual Sata power cable
PRICE:  $13.63
TOTAL CURRENT PRICE OF BUILD: $386.61

Today I went out to get the last parts. I couldn't get hold of a slim slot bluray drive but I did get everything else I needed.

ITEM:  Fujitsu 64GB SSD Drive
PRICE:  $71.82
TOTAL CURRENT PRICE OF BUILD: $458.43
This should give me a speedy boot up. I don't want to have to wait for the NES to boot just to watch a DvD.

ITEM:  8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Sol-Dimm
PRICE:  $90.00
TOTAL CURRENT PRICE OF BUILD: $548.43

ITEM:  Deep Cool SF-500 Fan
PRICE:  $13.64
TOTAL CURRENT PRICE OF BUILD: $562.07

When I added the power supply to the motherboard my risers that I glued on snapped off. If you remember I glued 2 of them in the wrong spot so it was only held on by 2 of the screws. So I had to repair this and this time I was doing it right. I screwed all the risers onto the motherboard before gluing them in place as suggest by twitter follower @Oz Ravenheart. This ensured all the risers sat exactly were they were needed.

 I then made up some brackets for the SSD drive to screw to. I changed my plan a little and decided to have the SSD standing up on its side. I made the brackets and glued them in place using the same method as the motherboard. Unfortunately, once again, my master builder skills came into play and I didn't take into account the SSD drive was too high for the top housing. Since the brackets were already glued into place I decided to bend them on an angle to lower the height of the drive.

I added the RAM and now the NES is almost complete.
All it needs now is the Blu-ray drive, a 2TB HDD and the buttons made for the front. I already have a HDD from a previous build so that's not going to cost me zip but the size of it does concern me. I may not be able to fit it in with the bluray drive. I haven't added the fan yet as I am trying to decide where it should go. There are vents at the top and bottom of the NES both of which would hold the fan nicely. My thoughts are, 1) heat rises so the fan should be on top. 2) Dust falls so to prevent the dust being sucked in it should be on the bottom.

So that's where the build is sitting for now. I have purchased the keyboard and mouse combo...
ITEM:  Kaiser Baas Mini Blu-tooth Keyboard.
PRICE:  $50.00
TOTAL CURRENT PRICE OF BUILD: $612.07

... and of course I need the blu-tooth adapter to be able to use it. This will plug into one of the USB ports at the back.
ITEM:  USB Bluetooth Dongle Ver 4
PRICE:  $26.82
TOTAL CURRENT PRICE OF BUILD: $638.89

So that's the build so far guys... It's turning out to be a lot more expensive than I first thought, but I guess that's living in the country.

Next step, rebuild the switches and get a Blu-Ray drive.
Until then, stay geeky...

Continue Reading Right HERE

SighFye

No comments:

Post a Comment