Saturday 24 January 2015

Computer Build Heartache

Hello readers SighFye here.

A while ago my soon to be brother in law, Da-rryl,  was trying to enter the gaming world. He bought himself a PC that he thought was promising. It was missing a graphics card so he bought himself one and the computer rejected it. He was told it was because the computer was using shared graphics and you have to update the bios in order to get a new graphics card. To him that was in the to hard basket so he stripped it down and handed me the remainder parts so I could start a build.

As you all know I have been on a laptop with not such good specs for sometime. In the Call of Duty range I can play as high as World at War (On lowest settings) but anything higher and the lappy crashes. The shell Da-rryl gave me had a motherboard and a CPU inside a case. I had no idea what either of them were but thought if things weren't strong enough for games I can always upgrade them.

The other day I went out and bought and Seagate 2TB HDD and Strontium 8GB 1600 DDR3 RAM. I also bought windows 7. I didn't see the need for a dvd drive as I have window 7 on a usb stick. I only needed a new product key.



I install all the parts, plug in my usb and boot up the pc. The fans start up giving that old familiar hum of a desktop pc. The light create a glow of anticipation as I wait for the screen to start up. I wait. I wait. I wait so more. Nothing!!?

The screen won't turn on. I check all the plugs and try other monitors and cables but nothing. I open the case and check all the plugs. Everything is plugged in fine. Nothing. By this point I was getting a little worried. Was the motherboard broken? I decided to try another slot of the RAM. This time, the screen started. So...

Lesson 1: RAM has a set spot that it must be in, not just any of the RAM spots.

Now the excitement starts again. The computer boots up to this screen. It wouldn't boot from the USB.
I go to the bios and setup to boot from USB. I restart the pc and get the same screen. Ok, so its not going to boot from USB. I take Bel's DVD drive out of her PC and place it in mine to boot from that. This takes us to the next stage of my computer build heartache.
Oh My Fucking God... Now What!!!??

After extensive research I find that HP computers are installed with windows and the windows signature is stored in bios to prevent another version of windows being installed. This ranks up there in the most stupid and useless features of a computer I have come across. I found a solution that told me to turn off secure boot in computer security setup in bios.

This did fix my problem and windows installed nicely. Now the excitements started up again. I installed steam, downloaded a few games I knew worked on my laptop. To my surprise I got an error. D:

At this point I was sure it was to do with my pc. I went and did the Windows Experience Index to see how this computer would perform. The scores for graphics and 3d graphics were 1. This pc had no graphic power at all.

So now I am stuck with a pc that needs a GPU and may not be able to get one. I did, in my research, find that HP computers tend to lock the computer to HP parts only so there is a glimmer of light. I do have my laptop to play some games and build mobile apps.

So until I can get a new GPU, happy gaming for you guys, not me D:

SighFye



No comments:

Post a Comment