Sunday 11 January 2015

One Day In Linux Hell

Hey guys SighFye here.



Yesterday was a very rage filled day. Some may know that I run linux on my laptop. This started because I had no money for windows and always wanted to try it out. I was running Kubuntu. I have also wanted to start a YouTube series based on all the Call of Duty games.

Since directX games will not run on Linux, I had to install WINE. Basically explained its a windows port for windows programs to enable them to run on Linux. I've played many game through this, including Killing Floor and Torchlight 2.

So because I want to start this Call of Duty series I needed to buy Call of Duty 1. It was $35 on steam with United Defences (A CoD 1 Expansion) and Call of Duty 2. I figured I needed both so why not. My collection is almost complete.
  1. Call of Duty - Got
  2. Call of Duty 2 - Got
  3. Call of Duty 3 - Is only on console so need to track it down
  4. Modern Warfare - Need
  5. World at War  - Got
  6. Modern Warfare 2 - Got
  7. Black Ops - Got
  8. Modern Warfare 3 - Got
  9. Black Ops 2 - Got
  10. Ghost - Need
  11. Advanced Warfare - Need
So I get WINE installed, then install STEAM, then download COD. By this time I am getting excited. Ok, its an old game, but its still fun. The Call of Duty logo comes up and then...
 I search the net for about 2 hours for a solution. The first solution I came across had me editing some file I shouldn't be. The results... no sound what so ever on my whole computer and still the error persisted.

So I needed to reinstall Linux. This time I select Ubuntu as its a larger distro and hopefully less buggy. I reinstalled WINE, reinstalled STEAM, reinstalled COD and then... BANG... Buffer Overrun.... FML.

So now Im looking for another solution. By this time I a rather upset. I find one, a simple one and things start looking up. All I need to do is delete pulseaudio and install gnome mixer or something like that. Great easy, done. Pulseaudio is gone... and now so are all the setting for ubuntu to. I now have no way of changing anything.

By this time I completely rage wipe my computer and reinstall Ubuntu.I still haven't found a solution but I did manage to delete my minecraft world, with my binary counter build I have been working on. I now have to start that again.

I have to say, I am over Linux. Yes its free and it works great. But the conveniences of windows and game just work with it instead of trying to hack your system to get a work around. I have to wait to get windows but when I do, I think I will be staying with it from now on.

Gaming & Linux = Problems

I hope you guys never experience a day like I did yesterday.

Happy Gaming Readers

SighFye

No comments:

Post a Comment